PETERSBURG, VA (WWBT) - The Petersburg community is helping teachers stock up on supplies before the school year starts.
All summer, schools have been taking donations and putting them in their Teachers Supply Closet. It's a place where teachers can come twice a month and get supplies for their classroom for free.
On average, teachers can spend $500 per year on supplies.
Terrie Harris has been teaching for the last 16 years. She says buying supplies can take a lot out of teachers.
"It's difficult. You then have to go into your own personal pocket," Harris said. "And sometimes that can take away from young teachers starting off with their own families. "For them to value us as an important part of the community means for than what words could ever express."
The Teachers Supply Closet is sponsored by the Petersburg Chamber of Commerce and staffed by the Petersburg Delta Sigma Theta chapter.
Petersburg schools said last year the closet saved around $30,000 for teachers. All of that comes from the community and the teachers can feel the love.
This Saturday, Petersburg schools will host a Stuff the Bus drive to bring in more supplies. The most popular items needed are dry erase markers, crayons, and glue. You can also donate anytime at the following locations:
- Petersburg Chamber of Commerce (325 E. Washington St., Petersburg, VA 23803)
- Petersburg YMCA (120 N. Madison St., Petersburg, VA 23803)
- Petersburg City Hall (135 N. Union St., Petersburg, VA 23803)
- Petersburg Public Library (201 W. Washington St., Petersburg, VA 23803)
- Crater Planning District Commission (1964 Wakefield Ave., Petersburg, VA 23805)
- Administrative Offices of Petersburg City Public Schools (255 South Boulevard East, Petersburg, VA 23805)
Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.