HENRICO/CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - The Virginia Department of Transportation is set to begin construction to make 11 busy intersections safer for pedestrians to cross in Chesterfield and Henrico counties.
The $1.8 million project is one of a series around the Richmond region to improve pedestrian safety. VDOT will add sidewalks, ramps, crosswalks and accessible pedestrian signals.
A list of intersections that will be worked on include:
- West Broad St. and Pouncey Tract Rd./Pump Rd. (Rt. 271)
- Genito Rd. (Rt. 604) and Brandermill Parkway (Rt. 1921)
- Coalfield Rd. (Rt. 754) and North Woolridge Rd. (Rt. 688)
- North Woolridge Rd. (Rt. 688) and Charter Colony Parkway (Rt. 950)
- Patterson Ave. (Rt. 6) and Gaskins Rd. (Rt. 157)
- Gaskins Rd. (Rt. 157) and Gayton Rd.
- Gaskins Rd. (Rt. 157) and Quioccasin Rd.
- Quioccasin Rd. (Rt. 157) and Pemberton Rd.
- Lakeside Ave. (Rt. 161) and Hilliard Rd. (Rte. 356)
- West Broad St. (Rt. 250) and North Gayton Rd.
- Mechanicsville Turnpike (Rt. 360) and Laburnum Ave. (Rt. 197)
Drivers can expect lane and shoulder closures, along with both daytime and nighttime work during off-peak travel times.
Construction begins Monday, Aug. 20 and is expected to be done by spring 2019.
Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.