Power 100% back on at Chippenham Hospital

Published: Jul. 10, 2018 at 7:40 PM EDT|Updated: Jul. 10, 2018 at 11:03 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Power has been restored after it was knocked out at Chippenham Hospital on Tuesday afternoon, forcing some patients to be moved to other hospitals.

Officials at Chippenham Hospital said they had 100% power on using a backup generator by 6:30 p.m. Full power was restored at 9:11 p.m.

During the outage, helicopters were brought in to help transport patients from the hospital. Ambulances also transported patients to other hospitals.

A spokesperson for the hospital said that 11 patients were transported and that all other patients were safe.

"No one was discharged for reasons other than appropriate for their care," the spokesperson said.

However, Tuesday patients said they were told otherwise.

"They asked [my friend] if she wanted to go home today, and she said yeah," said Dwayne Dennis.

"They were trying to let people go home instead of having to have them suffer through it," said Victor Moon, a patient who was discharged.

Moon said he was admitted to the hospital Monday for a medical condition, and thought he'd be spending two to three days inside. Around 2 p.m. that all changed.

"I heard something that sounded like a transformer blowing up, that's all I heard," Moon said.

"I just heard a boom and then the lights flickered and the TV and cable went out, and went static, and then the lights went out," Dennis added.

Richmond Fire officials said an underground power line was cut by a construction worker, which sparked the outage.

First responders also had to help people out of an elevator.

Dennis was visiting his friend who just gave birth to her son when the power went out.

He said everything was quiet for a few minutes before the organized chaos unfolded inside the hospital.

"It was pretty quiet until they started moving people from upstairs to downstairs and they started discharging people," Dennis said. "That's when it got crazy."

"I think they did a damn good job of making sure all the patients were taken care of," Moon said.

The power outage was first reported about 2 p.m. Tuesday. The backup generator did not initially go on when the power line was accidentally cut, Dominion said.

Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12