Overheated gas grill sparks early morning house fire

Overheated gas grill sparks early morning house fire
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control before it badly damaged the home.

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A Chesterfield family was woken up by a fire alarm Friday morning as flames spread on their back deck.

By the time firefighters were called to Ridge-Run Court near Qualla Road around 3 a.m., flames had already spread from the deck to a crawl space.

Luckily, crews were able to get the fire under control before it badly damaged the home.

Investigators say a gas grill wasn't turned off and sparked the fire when it overheated.

The fire serves as another reminder for why it's important to have a working smoke detector.

Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.