Advertisement

Fire prompts evacuation at Food Lion, causes $15K damage to building

Source: NBC12
Source: NBC12
Published: Mar. 29, 2018 at 9:22 PM EDT|Updated: Mar. 29, 2018 at 10:58 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA (WWBT) - Fire crews responded to the Food Lion at the Dunlop Village Shopping Center in Colonial Heights on Thursday.

A fire reportedly started in the meat department of the grocery store, prompting an evacuation around 4:46 p.m.

The fire was under control at 5:30 p.m. Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Boisseau Fire says units from Colonial Heights, Chesterfield, Hopewell, and Petersburg responded to the fire.

Four people were treated for minor smoke inhalation - one was transported to the hospital.

Investigators say the sprinkler system did activate, but the meat department suffered major fire damage and the rest of the building suffered smoke damage.

The damage to the building is estimated at $15,000 - that does not include the damage to the product in the store.

The fire appears to have been caused by a "malfunction in a mechanical refrigeration unit."

The store will remain closed for repairs.

Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12