Powhatan athlete to make Olympic debut on bobsled team
POWHATAN, VA (WWBT) - A former Powhatan football star is in South Korea as part of the men's four-man and two-man Olympic bobsled teams.
Hakeem Abdul-Saboor - who attended college at University of Virginia at Wise - is joining Christopher Kinney and Sam Michener as first time Olympians, along with Nick Cunningham, who participating in the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.
WHEN TO WATCH, 2-MAN BOBSLED
- 6:05 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 18: run 1
- 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 18: run 2
- 6:15 a.m. Monday, Feb. 19, run 3
- 7:35 a.m. Monday, Feb. 19, run 4
- Click here for information on how to watch
"The men's team showed their grit this season," said USA Bobsled & Skeleton CEO Darrin Steele.
In addition to helping the Powhatan Indians to a 36-3 record in football during his time there, Abdul-Saboor also played basketball and took part in track. According to his website, an ACL injury ended his football career in college.
WHEN TO WATCH, 4-MAN BOBSLED
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24: run 1
- 8:40 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24: run 2
- 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25, run 3
- 8:40 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25, run 4
"Hakeem is probably the best all-around athlete I have ever coached," said one of his football coaches, Dewey Lusk.
Click here to check out Abdul-Saboor's bobsledding highlights.
Copyright 2018 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.