2-alarm warehouse fire in Henrico ruled as accidental
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Henrico firefighters battled a two-alarm fire at a warehouse near Richmond Raceway on Tuesday morning.
Multiple fire trucks were called to Wellborn + Wright, a flooring business, just after 5 a.m. for the blaze, which has been ruled as accidental due to "self-combustion of oily rags," the fire department said Tuesday afternoon.
Jesse Kimberlin, works for Corrugated Containers, which rents space in the same warehouse as Wellborn + Wright. He arrived at work shortly after 5 a.m. to find smoke.
"I walked in my side and it was full of smoke and I opened up some doors and started to look around, but it was too filled with smoke so I just came out and called 911," said Kimberlin.
Crews arrived within five minutes. Once there, fire officials say they saw smoke around the roofline. When firefighters entered the building, they encountered zero visibility.
Capt. Taylor Goodman says the smoke was so thick inside, and with flames growing larger, the department called in for extra manpower and resources.
"The fire was deep seated and hard to access, so firefighters went to the roof with saws to cut a large hole to allow the smoke and heat escape and make conditions better for those in the building," the Henrico Fire Department said in a press release.
It took crews about 90 minutes to get the fire under control. A man who identified himself as an employee of Wellborn + Wright said the damage inside was minor, and that while there was a lot of smoke, the flames were contained to one area.
Firefighters said the blaze was spark
Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved