Martin's releases closing dates for remaining stores
(WWBT) - UPDATE: The store located at 252 N. Washington Highway will now close on Saturday, Aug. 5.
Martin's announced on Wednesday it will be closing its nine remaining stores in Richmond and Williamsburg this summer.
The closure of these stores mean that Martin's will no longer have a presence in Central Virginia less than a year and a half after the first report that the company was exploring selling its locations.
Many stores in the area were purchased by Publix.
"We want to thank our associates for their hard work and dedication over the years, and we are grateful for the loyalty of our many customers," said Tom Lenkevich, president of GIANT/MARTIN'S.
The following Martin's stores will close on July 10:
- 6401 Centralia Road, Chesterfield
- 5201 Chippenham Crossing Center, Richmond
- 11361 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond
- 4660 Monticello Avenue, Williamsburg
The following stores will close on Aug. 2:
- 252 North Washington Highway, Ashland
- 12601 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester
- 200 Charter Colony Parkway, Midlothian
- 7045 Forest Hill Avenue, Richmond
- 5700 Brook Road, Richmond
"Throughout this difficult process, our top concern has been to take care of our associates and treat them fairly and with respect," Lenkevich continued. "We know our associates' continued dedication to our customers will provide excellent service in the coming weeks. We are also making a best in class commitment to take care of our people with a strong severance package."
Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved