HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Three women are facing charges in connection with a child abuse investigation at a daycare in Henrico.
Henrico Police began to investigate a report of child abuse and/or neglect in the 6000 block of Brook Road on October 4. At the same time, the Virginia Department of Social Services was conducting a separate investigation into the facility.
Here's what the Virginia Department of Social Services found during their investigation:
- On September 26, the Virginia Department of Social Services received a complaint alleging that 10 children ranging from infants to school-age attended the daycare.
- During an on-site investigation on September 29, the daycare provider was found subject "to licensure as a child day center based on six children in the home at that time."
- On October 4, the Virginia Department of Social Services received information from the Henrico Department of Human Services saying at least 20 children attended the daycare. The children ranged from infants to preschool age.
- An onsite inspection conducted by licensing representatives October 4 says the program was found subject to licensure. They found out 22 children attended the daycare, and the children ranged from infants to preschool age.
- On October 5, the Virginia Department of Social Services says licensing staff contacted the Henrico Commonwealth's Attorney's office and reported the information gathered regarding this unlicensed provider and that the operation of this program was subject to licensure.
Henrico Police, the Virginia Department of Social Services, and Child Protective Services collaborated in a joint investigation which resulted in Tanya Yvonne Dawson being charged with one count each of assault and child abuse or neglect, five counts of operating without a license and two counts of interfering with a commission representative.
Latoya Denise Scott was charged with two counts of interfering with a commission representative. Samantha Dionne Tolson was charged with five counts of operating without a license, two counts of interfering with a commission representative and three counts of making false statements to a commission representative.
All three posted bond over the weekend and are due back in court in February.
This was the first investigation of illegal operation at this location according to the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved