Virginia boy left with lifelong injuries after attack by bully

Published: Aug. 28, 2016 at 9:06 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

(WWBT) - A brutal attack this summer inside a Northern Virginia high school has left a 15-year-old boy with lifelong injuries.

According to a report from WUSA, another 15-year-old boy, the alleged bully, is now facing malicious wounding charges in connection with the violent attack.

The names of both teenagers have been withheld because they are both juveniles.

Footage captured by a student showed the second punch, which brought the young man to the ground. He was rushed to an area hospital where he had to undergo surgery for a broken jaw and chin, which led to him having his mouth wired shut for three weeks.

WUSA reports he still has metal in his mouth seven weeks after the attack.

His attorney Maken Shirafkan said the attack could have been prevented.

"He was bullied and the school system did not do what was called to prevent it," Shirafkan said.

The incident happened on July 22 at J.E.B. Stuart High School. Both boys are from other high schools but were attending summer school at Stuart.

The victim, an immigrant from Iran, said the other boy bullied him from the start.

"He said, 'it's going to be a problem if you look at me again.' I said, 'I'm not looking, I'm just thinking,'" the boy recalled.

Scared, the boy went to the office and told school officials about the threat. But, what a staff member did may have made the situation worse.

"She brought the kid out and talked to him. He came back staring at me," said the victim.

The next day, he was attacked.

WUSA reports the bully came by outside the classroom where he was sitting again, and pointed at him, saying he was the reason the woman called him out. He told the boy to stand up and threw a punch. The attacker paused, and punched again, harder, knocking the victim to the ground. The victim never even attempts to fight back.

He was taken to the hospital, where his parents met him and were shocked at the blood coming from his mouth.

Shirafkan said school staff should have separated the two boys, and alerted parents, or the school resource officer first, before calling the bully out in front of his peers.

"The school has two victims, that young man is now looking at a felony. And this young man is left with injuries he'll deal with the rest of his life," said Shirafkan.

A Fairfax County Schools spokesperson said they cannot discuss specific student disciplinary actions, but in addition to the criminal charge, fighting on school property can lead to suspension or reassignment to a different school or program.

Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12