Expect delays, traffic changes for NASCAR events
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Henrico Police say traffic patterns will be altered near Richmond International Raceway for NASCAR events on Saturday and Sunday.
Motorists should expect heavy traffic on both days, especially on Sunday before noon and after 3 p.m. for the Sprint Cup Series race.
Traffic updates will be posted on interstates and other roads near RIR. WRVA-1140AM will also broadcast traffic reports.
The following traffic patterns will be in effect Sunday during peak hours:
- Carolina Avenue between Laburnum and Azalea avenues will be one-way outbound after the race. Access to businesses along Carolina Avenue will be maintained from Laburnum Avenue.
- Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road from the Henrico/Hanover county line to Azalea Avenue will be one-way southbound from about 8 a.m. until the race starts. Sections of Meadowbridge Road farther north in Hanover County will continue to accommodate two-way northbound and southbound traffic at all times.
- After the race, Laburnum Avenue from Carolina Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike will be one-way eastbound. Eastbound Laburnum Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Carolina Avenue will be closed until race traffic disperses. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Laburnum Avenue west of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road.
- After the race, beginning at about 3 p.m., Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road north of Azalea Avenue will be one-way northbound to Atlee Road in Hanover County. Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road will be restored to two-way traffic when race traffic disperses.
- After the race, three lanes of Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School will be routed westbound; one lane will be routed eastbound. This change will require all median crossovers on Azalea Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Henrico High School to be closed from about 10 p.m. until race traffic disperses. Police will assist motorists turning from Azalea Avenue onto Thrush Lane and Pony Farm Drive.
While the traffic modifications are in effect, median crossovers on Laburnum Avenue will be closed from North Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike, except at Alma Avenue, Pilots Lane and Austin Avenue. Only right turns will be permitted to and from Laburnum Avenue. Police will be at these intersections before and after the race to assist motorists turning onto or crossing Laburnum Avenue.
On-street parking on major routes to RIR will be prohibited each day. Parking will be available on Sunday, April 24 at the Richmond Coliseum parking deck at 501 N. Seventh Street in downtown Richmond. Standard parking rates apply. Free shuttle bus service to and from RIR will begin at 8 a.m.
There are also changes to General Parking for the 2016 season:
- The quickest and easiest way to access FREE parking at RIR at any time is through Meadowbridge Road. While there are several free parking areas near RIR, Lot H has the easiest access from/to the interstate. There is a FREE tram service from Lot H to the backstretch that runs continually starting at 7 a.m. through after the race.
- Gate 6 on Carolina Avenue and ALL gates on Laburnum Avenue (Gate 2, Gate 4) are designated as permit-only entry gates. Lot D is now a permit-only lot. There is NO general parking in Lot D. If you do not have a permit, you will be directed to the nearest free parking area.
For more information, visit www.rir.com.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved