Capitol Square building to remain closed Friday due to small fire

Published: Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - State police have ruled the fire at the James Madison building, near Capital Square, as accidental.

It was caused by a malfunctioning microwave.

Workers at the office building were briefly evacuated on Thursday afternoon due to a fire call. Richmond fire crews received the call around 1:28 p.m. for the building on Governor and Grace streets. Workers were told to evacuate due to the alarm and smoke in the building, according to fire officials.

The fire was found in a third-floor utility closet and extinguished by a sprinkler. Fire crews are now working to remove water in the building. No injuries were reported.

The building was closed for the remainder of the day and will remain closed Friday, according to officials.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12