Hanover dad locks up daughter's closet after $500 phone bill
HANOVER, VA (WWBT) - A Hanover dad decided to take unconventional action this week, after his daughter rang up a phone bill of more than $500.
The reason for the colossal charges? Too many Instagram posts, causing a deluge of data fees.
Now a 13-year-old has her haute couture on hold, after her father put a chain and padlock on her closet.
The eighth grader now has items from boots to dresses labeled with numbers on Post-It Notes - indicating the number of chores she has to complete to earn them back.
"My daughter told me the news about the bill when I was driving," laughed Jared Cramer in an interview Friday.
"She called me and said, you owe 500 and some odd dollars."
The bill was actually $541.36, and Cramer came up with an immediate remedy:
- Take his daughter's phone away.
- Put all her makeup, designer clothes and fine jewelry in one closet with a lock. Do this a week before school starts.
- Label each item with a certain number of chores she will have to complete in order to get her phone back.
- Give her the basic necessities to survive, like a bar soap, deodorant and toothbrush. Also, give her three outfits from Walmart of dad's choice.
- Put a huge lock on her closet to send the message.
"She thought after I got that bill it was going to be a slap on the wrist, don't let it happen again situation," Cramer said. "But I think she's been taking it pretty well."
In fairness to Cramer's daughter, Julia, the data debacle seems to be a huge mistake. Julia is an honor student who works with children with special needs.
Julia is the recent recipient of the Hanover Volunteerism Award, and her work ethic is strong.
"Julia woke up at 6:30 this morning when I woke up, and she started doing chores," Cramer said.
"She said, 'you know what dad, I know you love me, I know I messed up, and I'm gonna work this off.'"
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.