Government must prove suspect is Alexander Hill before he is sent to VA

Published: Apr. 23, 2015 at 6:55 PM EDT|Updated: Apr. 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PETERSBURG, VA (WWBT) - Fugitive Alexander Hill Jr. is behind bars in Buffalo, N.Y., more than 500 miles away from Petersburg, VA.

U.S. Marshals captured Hill around 10 a.m. Thursday, arresting him in connection with a 2014 Petersburg quadruple homicide; now the man known as "Real Deal" wants the government to prove he is, in fact, the real Hill.

Marshals confirmed agents arrested Hill at a Buffalo soup kitchen, after an anonymous tip revealed the murder suspect's exact location.

Hill appeared in federal court a few hours later in downtown Buffalo. The judge granted Hill an "identity hearing" for April 30. That means, on April 30, the government must prove that "Alexander Hill" is indeed Alexander Hill. If they succeed in this identification, the court can then order him to return to Virginia to face charges.

A spokesperson for the victims' family said authorities called relatives Thursday morning, saying Hill was captured without incident.

"It was so hurtful to see the agony of our family members every day waking up," said relative Andre Washington in an interview Thursday. "We lost people from four generations, it was so painful to see everyone go through this struggle."

It's unclear how Alexander Hill got to Buffalo or if he's tied to the area. It's not uncommon for fugitives to find their way to Buffalo because it is located right on the Canadian border.

Hill faces four murder charges connected to the April 19, 2014 deaths of Pauline Wilkins, her daughter Vicki Chavis Ansar, along with granddaughter Tanique Davis and great grandson Delvari Chavis.

A multitude of tips poured into law enforcement agencies, after media around the nation reported Hill was

Sunday. Petersburg prosecutors filed the murder charges a year after the Harding Street quadruple homicide.

"Hill couldn't run much longer," said Raymond Washington, a relative of the victims, in an interview Thursday. "I mean, it's been a year and God answered our prayers."

U.S. Marshals offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Copyright 2015 WWBT

. All rights reserved.