Medical examiner: Chesterfield man died from snake bite

Published: Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A Chesterfield man found dead in his home Monday died accidentally due to "complications from snake bite," according to the medical examiner's office in Richmond.

Jack Redmond, 70, was an avid collector of exotic pets and venomous snakes, 24 of which were removed from his Hinshaw Drive home Tuesday.

On Wednesday, two private collectors agreed to care for the venomous snakes either personally, or by finding zoos or other appropriate facilities in which to place the reptiles.

Earlier this week, police said they discovered a snake bite on Redmond's finger. Wildlife officials later believed the bite to be that of a bamboo viper which Redmond may have been attempting to feed.

Family members said Redmond was "bravely fighting cancer", and that he loved "all of nature."

The non-venomous snakes and other exotic pets in Redmond's home remained with his family, wildlife officials said.

It is illegal in Chesterfield County to own venomous snakes, according to a county ordinance.

Deadly snake bites are extremely rare in Virginia. Less than ten people have died from snake bites in Virginia over the last 30 years, according to the Virginia Poison Center at VCU.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.