Pilot's long recovery after crash

Anthony Carr
Anthony Carr

One year ago, a plane crashed at Richmond International Airport — the pilot inside the charred, mangled plane actually survived. Now, the pilot is talking to us about how his life has changed.

The pilot, 25-year-old Anthony Carr, has had a long recovery.

The twin engine plane crashed just moments after take off at Richmond International Airport.

Carr, still alive, was pinned in the aircraft. He suffered 2nd to 4th degree burns to 60 percent of his body.

He also had six broken ribs, a fractured pelvis, internal bleeding, and a fractured face.

"I've had 19 surgeries since April of last year, and probably have at least six or seven left," said Carr.

Carr spent months at VCU Medical Center — it's been a hard journey to get to where he is now.

"It's been pretty grueling. I've had hours upon hours of physical and occupational therapy, ongoing surgeries probably once or twice a month over the past year."

At the time, Carr, at 24 years old, had been flying for about eight years.

He got his private pilot's license at 16 — learning to fly before he could drive.

Carr was a flight instructor for a while and was transferred to Richmond to fly the "Piper Navajo" — a cargo plane.

Carr had a love for flying... but right now he's grounded under workers comp and is seeing a psychologist.

"Obviously, you can imagine it takes a toll on you not only physically but mental things to work through as well."

The first responders who helped rescue Carr were honored by Henrico Fire and EMS this week.

Anthony Carr was there to personally thank them — again — for saving his life.

"I've got an amazing group of surgeons and doctors at MCV that have helped me out, and of course through the grace of the Richmond Airport Fire Dept. and Henrico County Station 6, I've got a lot of support."

Carr said his next set of surgeries will be in the fall.

His love of writing poetry helps him cope during his recovery process.

Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.