UVa student contracts bacterial meningitis

Posted by Colby Rogers - email

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) - A University of Virginia student has contracted bacterial meningitis, and students who had close contact with him have been given preventative antibiotics.

Dr. Joseph Chance with the university's Department of Student Health said the 21-year-old student was in serious condition Friday at the University of Virginia Medical Center.

The university sent out e-mails to students informing them of the situation after the student was admitted to the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

Bacterial meningitis is a potentially fatal infection of the fluid around the spinal cord and surrounding the brain.

Earlier this month, a 19-year-old West Virginia University freshman from Stephens City, Va., died of bacterial meningitis.

(c) 2009. The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.