Man charged with attempted murder against police after allegedly trying to run officers over

Jerrod Brown mugshot
Jerrod Brown mugshot(New River Valley Regional Jail)
Published: Nov. 4, 2022 at 9:36 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PULASKI, Va. (WDBJ) - Pulaski fugitive Jerrod Brown was taken into custody without incident late Friday morning, according to Pulaski Police. Police say he and everyone else involved are “safe and sound.”

A family friend of Brown’s told WDBJ7 he’s glad everyone was safe, and that the situation didn’t end up worse.

“My heart dropped like I knew that justice was served,” Larry Croiser said. “I just have been tripping and I’m normally stressed, but that was just icing on the cake. And I didn’t know what to do because I didn’t want him to get killed.”

Brown has been served with warrants for Attempt to Murder Law Enforcement Officer, Grand Theft Auto, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon and one from Smyth County for a probation violation.

Police and the US Marshals Office had been looking for the man accused of stealing a police car and trying to run over two police officers Thursday. Police had offered a $3,000 reward for information leading to his capture.

“That is typically how information comes us,” said Sonia Ramsey, community resource specialist with the Pulaski Police Department. “We can be doing everything that we can do and have multiple units as we probably did at one point last night, we had close to 100 people searching the area.”

Pulaski County schools operated as normal Friday and a shelter-in-place in the Valley Street area has been lifted.

Pulaski Police say they believe Jerrod Celablee Brown stole a police vehicle Thursday morning and tried to run over two officers. Police said the situation started following a domestic call around 9 a.m. Thursday.

“A police vehicle was stolen. While officers were responding to a domestic call, the vehicle was stolen. The perpetrator tried to run over two of our officers,” Ramsey said.

Police say Brown wrecked the police vehicle and stole guns from it, then ran off.