2-year-old found alone in motel dies; suspects face child neglect and abuse charges

A motel employee described the child’s mother’s demeanor as quote “unphased.”
Published: Oct. 27, 2022 at 11:52 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ASHLAND, Va. (WWBT) - A child died five days after being found alone in an Ashland motel, police said Thursday.

Two people - Danielle Tulloss, age 21, of Fredericksburg, and Raequan Gilliens, age 24, of Ashland - now face child neglect and abuse charges.

Police said they were called to a motel in the 800 block of England Street for a medical emergency involving a 2-year-old on Saturday, Oct. 15.

“Upon arrival, the child was discovered alone in the motel room in medical distress,” the Ashland Police Department said in a news release. “APD officers began life-saving measures until Hanover Fire/EMS personnel arrived on scene.”

The child was transported to VCU Medical Center and died on Thursday, Oct. 20.

NBC12 spoke with a Days Inn hotel employee who did not want to talk on camera but was working the night of the incident.

The worker says he remembers police arriving in the early morning hours. He recalls seeing the mother earlier that night but never the boyfriend.

He continues to say the mother didn’t re-appear until early morning when she asked for a room key and told the worker her toddler would be just fine. The employee described her demeanor as quote “unphased.”

He also says the couple has stayed at the motel a handful of times over the last few months.

We also spoke with a man who’s been working at a fast-food restaurant near the motel for the last few years.

“It’s just so crazy. You never really know what’s going on,” he said.

The employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, tells NBC12 news the Days Inn and Motel 6 bring in a lot of crime.

“I definitely can say police are heavily over here, especially on the weekends and nights, and I just think we need to take more of a watch and be more mindful of what’s going on, especially at night, with the two and make sure everybody’s staying safe,” the fast-food worker said.

This employee says he’s careful when closing up shop during nighttime.

“If the police could stay over here just a little bit more, it would make the City of Ashland definitely safer, for sure.”

Tulloss appeared in Hanover Juvenile and Domestic Court via Skype for her second arraignment on Thursday.

Her next court appearance is on Dec. 13 at 10:30 a.m. for a preliminary hearing.

Her defense Attorney Russ Stone says he plans to file a bond motion for Tulloss within the upcoming week.

Gilliens is set to appear in court Friday at 1:15 p.m. for his bond hearing.

Both are currently being held without bond.

The toddler’s cause of death has not been released yet. Police say further charges could be presented.

Anyone with information about this case should contact the Ashland Police Department at 804-798-1227.