RPD still investigating crash involving police vehicle that killed 2

One person is dead and three more hurt after a crash at the intersection of Bells Road and...
One person is dead and three more hurt after a crash at the intersection of Bells Road and Castlewood(WWBT)
Published: Apr. 22, 2022 at 2:59 PM EDT|Updated: Apr. 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Richmond police have released new details about the crash on the city’s southside involving an RPD cruiser and a sedan that killed two people.

Court documents show investigators are still trying to figure out who was at fault and who was behind the wheel of the sedan.

Police originally said that 18-year-old Jeremiah Ruffin was driving and 19-year-old Tracey Williams was the passenger.

Search warrants show Ruffin only had a learner’s permit and Williams had a suspended license.

Neither were wearing seatbelts and both were ejected when the crash happened near Bells Road and Castlewood Road back on April 7. Both died of their injuries.

Documents also say investigators have surveillance video showing the impact, and it apparently shows the sedan was going at least 50 miles per hour, which is double the posted speed limit.

The officers were hospitalized but are expected to survive.

An update from RPD is expected next week.

Richmond Police Chief Gerald Smith released the following statement on Friday:

“The Richmond Police Department extends its thoughts and prayers to the families of Jeremiah Ruffin and Tracey Williams. No one wants to lose a child, so at this time we ask that our Richmond community continue to pray for and comfort the Hill, Ruffin and Williams families with us as they continue deal with the loss of their loved ones.

“As I stated when the accident occurred, we will follow wherever the investigation leads us. We want our community to know we are entering the final stages of the investigation surrounding the circumstances and causes of the tragic fatal collision that occurred on April 7. Once concluded, the full investigation will be turned over to the Commonwealth Attorney for review and next steps.

“Again, we are saddened by the loss of life and will continue to do what we can as an agency to support these grieving families.”

Copyright 2022 WWBT. All rights reserved.

Send it to 12 here.

Want NBC12’s top stories in your inbox each morning? Subscribe here.