Advertisement

RFD: House struck by lightning, causing washer/dryer inside to catch on fire

dryer on fire
dryer on fire(Richmond Fire Department)
Updated: Jun. 10, 2021 at 12:51 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - The Richmond Fire Department says lightning from yesterday’s storm likely caused a washer and dryer in a house to catch on fire.

Crews responded to the report of a house fire on June 9 around 5 p.m. in the 2000 block of Newman Road.

Firefighters could see smoke coming from the back corner of the house.

dryer on fire
dryer on fire(Richmond Fire Department)
dryer on fire
dryer on fire(Richmond Fire Department)

Crews were able to get the fire under control.

After investigating, crews determined the fire was started due to lightning. This caused a surge through outlets in the room where a washer and dryer were plugged.

No one was in the residence at the time.

Copyright 2021 WWBT. All rights reserved.

Submit a news tip.

Want NBC12’s top stories in your inbox each morning? Subscribe here.