Virginia State Police: Phone scammers targeting convicted sex offenders at ‘alarming’ rate

The Social Security Administration stresses that your number cannot be suspended, blocked or...
The Social Security Administration stresses that your number cannot be suspended, blocked or frozen and that no government agencies will ask you to send cash, wire money or buy gift cards as a form of payment.(KEYC News 12)
Updated: Jun. 2, 2021 at 3:33 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Virginia State Police said they’ve been alerted to an “alarming” increase in phone scams that target convicted sex offenders.

Troopers said the scammers pretend to be a Virginia State Police sergeant and threaten the person into paying hundreds of dollars in gift cards to them

“The Virginia State Police are also getting numerous calls from convicted sex offenders in the metro-Richmond region who are being told there is a warrant out for their arrest. The sex offender is advised not to call the Virginia State Police and that the only way to adjudicate the warrant is by paying off a fine,” police said.

Virginia law prohibits people from using information on the Virginia Sex Offender Registry to intimidate or harass a person listed. Violation of this is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

“The scammer provides instruction on how the payment should be submitted, usually through an “eGift” cash card or similar payment to a specified account or name given by the caller. The scammer will often pressure, threaten and be verbally abusive in order to intimidate the victim into complying with the scammer’s demands,” police said.

The caller also “spoofs” the caller ID to make it look like the call is coming from the local police office. Police say the scammers use prepaid phones and are usually not in the jurisdiction where the crime happened, making it hard for them to be apprehended.

State and local law enforcement will not call and request payment for a fine or warrant. Anyone who gets a call like this should hang up and call their local law enforcement agency. Complaints can also be made to the Federal Trade Commission online.

Copyright 2021 WWBT. All rights reserved.

Submit a news tip.

Want NBC12’s top stories in your inbox each morning? Subscribe here.