RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - The Virginia Health Department reported 648,347 total COVID-19 cases in Virginia, a 1,236 case increase in the past 24 hours.
The health department is also reporting 10,625 deaths and 27,784 hospitalizations since the pandemic began.
A total of 6,854,889 PCR tests have been given throughout the state. The 7-day PCR testing positivity rate increased to 6.1%.
VDH uses the number of new cases per 100,000 population to describe new infections, not positive tests per 100,000 population because some people will be tested more than once.
There were eight new outbreaks were reported Tuesday. The total number of outbreaks remains at 3,030.
A majority of the outbreaks are in long-term care facilities. There are currently 71,155 cases associated with the outbreaks.
Central VA Case Highlights:
- Chesterfield: 26,692 cases, 911 hospitalizations, 411 deaths
- Henrico: 24,507 cases, 1,014 hospitalizations, 594 deaths
- Richmond: 16,526 cases, 775 hospitalizations, 258 deaths
- Hanover: 7,847 cases, 273 hospitalizations, 150 deaths
- Petersburg: 3,709 cases, 157 hospitalizations, 81 deaths
- Goochland: 1,397 cases, 51 hospitalizations, 23 deaths
The numbers reported by the Virginia Health Department are only updated once a day. See the full daily summary and breakdown here.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.