RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - The Virginia Health Department reported 578,559 total COVID-19 cases in Virginia, a 1,385 case increase in the past 24 hours.
The health department is also reporting 8,943 deaths and 24,258 hospitalizations since the pandemic began. In the last 24 hours, 160 deaths were recorded in the commonwealth.
A total of 5,928,679 PCR tests have been given throughout the state. The 7-day PCR testing positivity rate decreased slightly to 6.7%.
VDH uses the number of new cases per 100,000 population to describe new infections, not positive tests per 100,000 population because some people will be tested more than once.
Eight new outbreaks were reported Tuesday. The total number of outbreaks is 2,642.
A majority of the outbreaks are in long-term care facilities. There are currently 65,062 cases associated with the outbreaks.
Central VA Case Highlights:
- Chesterfield: 23,654 cases, 792 hospitalizations, 324 deaths
- Henrico: 21,507 cases, 885 hospitalizations, 506 deaths
- Richmond: 14,897 cases, 680 hospitalizations, 203 deaths
- Hanover: 6,688 cases, 252 hospitalizations, 134 deaths
- Petersburg: 3,178 cases, 130 hospitalizations, 55 deaths
- Goochland: 1,219 cases, 44 hospitalizations, 16 deaths
The numbers reported by the Virginia Health Department are only updated once a day. See the full daily summary and breakdown here.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.