RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - The Virginia Health Department reported 488,533 new COVID-19 cases in Virginia, a 5,227 case increase in the past 24 hours.
The health department is also reporting 6,228 deaths and 20,986 hospitalizations since the pandemic began.
A total of 5,112,697 PCR tests have been given throughout the state. The 7-day PCR testing positivity rate decreased slightly to 12.3%.
VDH uses the number of new cases per 100,000 population to describe new infections, not positive tests per 100,000 population because some people will be tested more than once.
Nine new outbreaks were reported on Wednesday. The total in the state is now at 2,258.
A majority of the outbreaks are in long-term care facilities. There are currently 55,888 cases associated with the outbreaks.
Central VA Case Highlights:
- Chesterfield: 18,451 cases, 679 hospitalizations, 201 deaths
- Henrico: 17,858 cases, 761 hospitalizations, 337 deaths
- Richmond: 12,321 cases, 622 hospitalizations, 124 deaths
- Hanover: 5,636 cases, 215 hospitalizations, 97 deaths
- Petersburg: 2,469 cases, 117 hospitalizations, 36 deaths
- Goochland: 989 cases, 35 hospitalizations, 7 deaths
The numbers reported by the Virginia Health Department are only updated once a day. See the full daily summary and breakdown here.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.