RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - The deadline to apply for the Richmond utility relief program has been extended.
Residents now have until Jan. 31 to apply.
To be eligible for funding under this Relief Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a customer (residential or non-residential) of the City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities with active utility service;
- Have experienced/been impacted by an economic hardship due to COVID-19;
- Have fallen behind on their City water, wastewater or natural gas utility bill for services during the period of March 1, 2020 through December 30, 2020
- Have not received any other forms of relief or financial assistance for their City utility services
- Submit the completed application so that it is received by DPU on or before Jan. 31, 2021.
The COVID-19 Municipal Utility Relief Program funding provided by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) is being administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and supports municipal utility relief efforts during the pandemic.
The utility relief assistance program is designed to be a one‐time opportunity with one payment per household or business. Funding for the program is limited, so don’t delay in applying.
The application process is simple, takes less than 5 minutes to complete, and requires no documentation. Drop by one of these locations to fill out or drop off a completed application:
- City Hall | 900 E. Broad Street, Room 115
- East District Initiative | 701 N. 25th Street
- Southside Community Services Center | 4100 Hull Street
Customers can also request an application via email to DPUCares@richmondgov.com or by calling (804) 646-4646.
Copyright 2021 WWBT. All rights reserved.