RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Meteorological winter starts today, and that means cold temperatures and potentially slippery roads.
As temperatures turn colder, it is important to make sure your car is ready for the winter chill.
1. Make sure you have enough tread on your tires. There is an easy test to check the tread: take a penny and put it in a tire groove. If you see all of Lincoln’s head, it is time to get those tires replaced.
2. Cold weather causes tires to lose air pressure. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and consider getting a portable air compressor so you can inflate your tires anywhere, anytime.
3. If your car’s battery is three years or older, or you are not sure how old it is, ask your mechanic to get the battery levels checked.
4. Wiper blades should be replaced at least once a year, and make sure there is plenty of wiper fluid.
5. Finally, keep an emergency kit in your car. It should include jumper cables, an ice scraper, car charger for your cell phone, and a coat or blanket.
If you take these simple steps now, it will save you a bigger headache when winter weather turns nasty.
You can view a complete checklist from AAA to prepare your car for winter at this link.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.