RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Students from Richmond Public Schools continue to receive laptops amid the COVID-19 pandemic. This week, elementary students will be able to pick up laptops - keep scrolling for dates and times.
Richmond Public Schools Superintendent Jason Kamras announced on March 24, the launching of a new online survey for parents to fill out who have children who need the devices and lack access to technology outside of school operations.
Superintendent Jason Kamras says having laptops will help them complete schoolwork while campuses are closed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
RPS plans on distributing the 8,000 devices currently owned by the school system in addition to purchasing up to 10,000 laptops for students who don’t have access to online learning resources at home.
Purchasing laptops will cost $3.5 million, which is $350 per laptop, along with the security software and the insurance that comes with it. Kamras says RPS will partially fund the program by reallocating unused funds from transportation and energy costs.
High school and middle school students already received their laptops. Now, elementary students can pick up theirs throughout the month of May.
Students should have previously signed up online for one. If a student did not sign up online, you will have to wait at a later date.
Superintendent Kamras says 12,000 requests for laptops were made on April 14.
At pickup, students and parents must bring a signed user agreement form and the student’s ID and password.
RPS announced via Twitter that all senior passwords have been reset to their default password. Students should create a new password on your next login.
Students who attend these following schools will receive their laptops on May 5:
- Blackwell Elementary School
- G.W. Carver Elementary School
- John B. Cary Elementary School
- Chimborazo Elementary School
- Fairfield Court Elementary School
- George Mason Elementary School
- William Fox Elementary School
Students who attend these following schools will receive their laptops on May 6:
- Broad Rock Elementary School
- J.B. Fisher Elementary School
- Oak Grove - Bellemeade Elementary School
- E.D. Redd Elementary School
- Westover Hills Elementary School
Students who attend these following schools will receive their laptops on May 12:
- Barack Obama Elementary School
- Linwood Holton Elementary School
- Patrick Henry Elementary School
- Swansboro Elementary School
- Woodville Elementary School
Students who attend these following schools will receive their laptops on May 13:
- Bellevue Elementary School
- G.H. Reid Elementary School
- J.L. Francis Elementary School
- Miles Jones Elementary School
- E.S.H. Greene Elementary School
Students who attend these following schools will receive their laptops on May 14:
- Ginter Park Elementary School
- Overby-Sheppard Elementary School
- Mary Munford Elementary School
- Southhampton Elementary School
Amelia Street students may go to a school on any date.
Time slots for pick-up will be based on student’s last names:
- 9:30 a.m. (for last names starting with the letters A-D)
- 10:15 a.m. (for last names starting with the letters E-J)
- 11:00 a.m. (for last names starting with the letters K-N)
- 11:45 a.m. (for last names starting with the letters O-S)
- 12:30 p.m. (for last names starting with the letters T-Z)
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.