Virginia launches “VA TV Classroom” teacher-led instruction
RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Four public media television stations in Virginia are now airing teacher-led classroom instruction following the closure of schools for the rest of the academic year.
The goal is to help students in grades K-10 who may not be able to access other distance learning options due to a lack of high-speed internet.
The shows will broadcast Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
The Virginia Superintendent of Public Instruction James Lane says the Department of Education has partnered with Blue Ridge PBS, VPM, WETA and WHRO Public Media to make this possible.
“I believe that ‘VA TV Classroom’ will make a tremendous difference this spring as schools endeavor to provide continuity of learning for students, especially in communities where online learning is a challenge,” Lane said. “This programming builds on the long-standing partnership between VDOE and public television to support teaching and learning across the state.”
The “VA TV Classroom” on-air schedule is as follows:
- K-3 instruction airs from 1-2 p.m. with Standards of Learning-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media. “Learn to Grow with WHRO” segments will be 15 minutes in length and led by teachers.
- Grades 7-10 instruction airs from 2-3 p.m. with SOL-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media focusing on Earth Science and Algebra 1.
- During the week of April 27, “VA TV Classroom” will add a special hour from 3-4 p.m. called “AP Prep Week,” with content provided by Virtual Virginia — in collaboration with WHRO — focusing on a different AP subject each day. The hour will include two 30-minute segments.
“VA TV Classroom” can be seen throughout the commonwealth on the following channels:
- WHRO – WHRO World: via antenna 15.2, Cox 107 and Verizon FiOS 460
- VPM – VPM Plus
- WETA – WETA PBS Kids: via antenna 26.3, Comcast 266, Cox 801, Verizon FiOS 472 and RCN 38
- Blue Ridge PBS – SWVAPTV: via antenna 15.2, streaming services Blue Ridge Streaming and Project Southwest on YouTube, Citizens Cable 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Xfinity 264 and Lumos 17 (Shentel, Bedford, Covington, Glade Hill, Radford, Rocky Mount, Rustburg and Wytheville: 157)
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.