Diocese of Richmond, Arlington to livestream holy week masses
ARLINGTON, Va. (WWBT) - The Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Arlington and The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond has been wired to increase its wifi capabilities. This will live-stream all Holy Week Masses that will take place this year.
After Governor Ralph Northam issued a ban extending through April 23 on gatherings of more than 10 people, the cathedral will not be open to the public for the celebration of these masses due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“While we all desire to come together to celebrate the Passion and Resurrection of our Lord during this sacred season, we know we must continue to take steps to stop the spread of the coronavirus. Here, the Lord calls us to surrender again. This year, we must celebrate Easter in a different way,” Bishop Michael F. Burbidge said.
The Masses will be celebrated by Bishop Michael F. Burbidge, Diocese of Arlington, and will be available on Arlington Diocese’s website.
Mass of Palm Sunday
- Sunday, April 5, 11:15 a.m.
- Thursday, April 9, 10:30 a.m.
Mass of the Lord’s Supper
- Thursday, April 9, 7:30 p.m.
Passion of the Lord
- Friday, April 10, 3:00 p.m.
Easter Vigil Mass
- Saturday, April 11, 8:30 p.m.
Easter Sunday Mass During the Day
- Sunday, April 12, 9:30 a.m.
Find more information on the Arlington Diocese’s website.
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond will be live streaming Holy Week liturgies.
Bishop Barry C. Knestout will celebrate Holy Week.
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart is not open to the public for these celebrations due to the public health concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The suspension of public Masses remains in place throughout the diocese until further notice. As a result, parishes across the diocese will live stream Holy Week liturgies so their parishioners can virtually take part in these celebrations.
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart’s live stream schedule is as follows:
- Palm Sunday, April 5, 10 a.m. The Passion of the Lord, Bishop Knestout presiding
- Chrism Mass moved to July 11, 2020
- Holy Thursday, April 9, 6:00 p.m. Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Bishop Knestout presiding
- Good Friday, April 10, 3:00 p.m. The Passion of the Lord, Bishop Knestout presiding
- Holy Saturday, April 11, 8:00 p.m. The Easter Vigil, Bishop Knestout presiding
- Easter Sunday, April 12, 10:00 a.m. Easter Mass, Bishop Knestout presiding
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.