RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Beginning Tuesday, March 17, Henrico County Public Schools (HCPS) will provide student-meal sites for free ‘grab and go’ breakfasts and lunches.
The school district announced that 14 sites will open to distribute free “grab and go” school meals. Packaged lunch and breakfast will be available each school day on a first-come, first-served basis.
Food distribution is open to all students, regardless of what school they attend, as well as others under age 18. Adults must be accompanied by each child under 18 who needs a meal.
Starting on April 3, HCPS ‘grab and go’ sites will give additional meals that can be taken home for students to eat during the weekend.
Weekend meals will be distributed only on Fridays.
HCPS says pick-up hours are scheduled for 11 a.m. to noon, but hours and locations may increase, depending on demand.
Five schools will operate as hubs for distribution, where food will be prepared, packaged and distributed to students.
Locations may be expanded for the week of March 23-27, depending on demand. If the school closure period is extended past March 30, HCPS will assess the status of the food distribution program. Meals will also be transported to Henrico Volunteer Rescue Squad 31 in Sandston, to be distributed.
Newest meal distribution site (Starting Tuesday, March 23, 11 a.m.-noon):
- Ward Elementary School, 3400 Darbytown Road, Henrico, Va. 23231
Student meal distribution sites (Starting Tuesday, March 17, 11 a.m.-noon):
- Campus of Virginia Randolph, 2204 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, Va. 23060
- Fairfield Middle School, 5121 Nine Mile Road, Henrico, Va. 23223
- Glen Lea Elementary School, 3909 Austin Ave., Henrico, Va. 23222
- Henrico High School, 302 Azalea Ave., Henrico, Va. 23227
- Henrico Volunteer Rescue Squad 31, 5301 Huntsman Road, Sandston, Va. 23150
- Hermitage High School, 8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, Va. 23228
- Highland Springs Elementary School, 600 Pleasant Street, Highland Springs, Va. 23075
- Longan Elementary School, 9200 Mapleview Ave., Henrico, Va. 23294
- Montrose Elementary School, 2820 Williamsburg Road, Henrico, Va. 23231
- Quioccasin Middle School, 9400 Quioccasin Road, Henrico, Va. 23238
- Ratcliffe Elementary School, 2901 Thalen St., Henrico, Va. 23223
- Ridge Elementary School, 8910 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Va. 23229
- Sandston Elementary School, 7 Naglee Ave., Sandston, Va. 23150
Henrico County Public Schools will also have internet access for students. The vans will be open weekdays from 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. and 2:00-4:00 p.m.
Internet access for our students, laptop repair:
- Deep Run High School, 4801 Twin Hickory Road, Glen Allen, Va.
- Douglas Freeman High School, 8701 Three Chopt Road, Henrico, Va.
- Hermitage High School, 8301 Hungary Spring Road, Henrico, Va.
- Highland Springs High School, 15 S. Oak Ave., Highland Springs, Va.
The vans will be stationed at four HCPS high schools to act as mobile technology hubs for students and school division staff.
The hubs are designed to support virtual learning in two ways: enable up to 400 students and staff members who don’t have home internet access to get it through distribution of Wi-Fi hot-spot devices, and provide a way for HCPS-issued laptops to be repaired and exchanged.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.