Chesterfield County celebrating Black History Month with a variety of programs
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WWBT) - Chesterfield County will host a variety of programs in observance of Black History Month.
The programs will run through Saturday, Feb. 29 and will be offered until Wed., Feb. 12.
- Through the Generations- reproductions from VMFA’s permanent collection of African American art created by artists who attended or taught at many of the area’s historically black colleges and universities. View the exhibit through Saturday- Feb. 29, Meadowdale Library, 4301 Meadowdale Blvd, North Chesterfield, 23234
- Loving- an award-winning film, based on the true story of an interracial couple’s fight against Virginia’s interracial marriage laws. Mon., Feb. 3, 6-8 p.m., at LaPrade Library, 9000 Hull Street Rd, North Chesterfield, 23236. Registration required.
- Origins of the First Twenty Africans- interpreter Pia Spinner will tell the story of the origins of the first 20 Africans brought to America. Thursday, Feb. 6, 6-7 p.m., Bon Air Library, 9103 Rattlesnake Rd, North Chesterfield, 23235. Registration required.
- Come Freedom, Come- a theatrical presentation about Martha Ann Fields, an enslaved Hanover County woman who escaped to freedom with her eight children. Saturday, Feb. 8, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at Meadowdale Library, 4301 Meadowdale Blvd, North Chesterfield, 23234. Registration required.
- Leaders in Public Service- a panel discussion with former and current African American public servants who broke the color barrier in public service. Saturday, Feb. 8, 2-3 p.m., Clover Hill Library, 6701 Deer Run Dr., Midlothian, 23112. Registration required.
- Gospel Sounds of Cora Armstrong- the Grammy-nominated singer will bring her gift of music and storytelling to Virginia State University. Mon., Feb. 10, 6-7 p.m., Anderson Turner Auditorium, Hayden St., Petersburg, 23803. Registration required.
- Hip Hop Dance to Fitness- a program that will offer neo-traditional dance styles to Afrobeats. Wed., Feb. 12, 6-7 p.m., Ettrick-Matoaca Library, 4501 River Rd, Chesterfield, 23803. Registration begins Wed., Jan 29.
For more information or help to register for these events, visit this webpage here.
Copyright 2020 WWBT. All rights reserved.