Court docs: Suspect had laser sight on handgun during shooting of twins, killing one

Court docs: Suspect had laser sight on handgun during shooting of twins, killing one
Police said Konner Englehart, 22, of Henrico, was shot and killed Thursday morning at a home on Wilton Road in Varina (Source: NBC12/Kenzie Taylor)

VARINA, Va. (WWBT) - Court documents state the Chesterfield man who shot twins, killing one of them had a laser sight attached to a handgun at the time of the shooting.

Henrico Police responded to the 7700 block of Wilton Road around 3:36 a.m. Dec. 12 after someone called 911 from the address and hung up.

“Dispatchers were able to update officers while en route to the scene, indicating there was an open line and yelling in the background, and the possibility shots were fired,” police said.

Once on scene, officers found two men with gunshot wounds.

Court documents obtained Wednesday said Kameron Englehart, 22, and his girlfriend were asleep downstairs in the detached garage on the property when they woke up to the sound of gunfire.

“[They] went upstairs and [Kameron’s girlfriend] stated that Kameron Englehart was shot immediately,” documents said. “... Kameron and [his girlfriend] immediately started to fight with Robert Thorpe... [he] fled the residence and was waving a handgun with a laser attached, while in [a] yard of Wilton Road.”

Officers found Konner Englehart, 22, of Henrico, dead in the upstairs of the detached garage. Englehart’s sister, Kenzie Taylor, said he was found dead from gunshot wounds on the porch.

Police arrested Robert Arthur Thorpe, Jr., 34, of Chesterfield County, in connection to the shooting. Court documents said officers found Thorpe coming out of the wood line near the property of the home.

“[The officer] observed blood on the shirt of Mr. Thorpe,” documents said.

Thorpe faces charges of second-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

During a search of the property, officers collected various pieces of evidence including clothing, cartridge cases, a shotgun, bullets, a cell phone, jewelry, DNA evidence, and money.

Taylor said her brother Kameron was taken to VCU Medical Center for his injuries where he was treated and released hours after the shooting.

“He was shot five times and Konner actually pretty much gave his life for Kameron because he was in the way of the bullets when it happened," Taylor said.

Taylor said she and her family can’t stop thinking about what Konner did in his final moments.

“Konner was the oldest twin and always the one to protect,” she said.

“Konner was running away, running out of the house and Kameron was coming up the steps and Konner was probably surprised to see him,” said Cody Taylor, Kenzie’s husband.

“Kameron said that he (Konner) stood up right in front of him and blocked his body," Taylor continued.

Taylor said her husband received a text from a family member around 5 a.m. saying there was a shooting and had a gut-feeling the oldest twin was dead.

“I think it’s because Konner was the one who wasn’t well,” she said. “He was still struggling with his addiction… What gives me comfort is that his battle is over. He doesn’t have to fight anymore, because every time I saw him, he was searching for that reward from the drug.”

Now the family is trying to come to grips with losing Konner.

“I don’t know what else to say,” Taylor said. “I know Kameron is going to take it much harder than me because I’ve already lost my older brother who I’ve had since birth.”

Her older brother, Kyle Englehart, died in 2018 after he went missing on the James River while duck hunting.

According to police, officers responded to the home 14 times in the last three years for a variety of calls.

Taylor said Konner lived in the home with his mother who was apparently dating Thorpe. He had been in the family’s life for roughly a year.

“He’s come in and put a damper on just about everybody,” Taylor said.

As investigators continue to work on the case, collecting evidence that was tracked down by the K-9 unit, Taylor said she’s focused on moving forward with her own family.

“I don’t even like the holidays because of all the loss, but I was trying to get into the spirit,” she said. “I have a son, so that’s what’s going to keep me grounded.”

The family has created a GoFundMe to help pay for funeral arraignments for Konner.

Police said more charges are forthcoming as the investigation continues. They are not seeking anyone else in connection with this crime.

Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.