RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Tax-Free Weekend in Virginia can be the perfect time to get your children’s back-to-school essentials.
Richmond fashion expert Shanna Battle says it is important to plan and budget.
- Set a budget - Figure how much you’re willing to spend on back-to-school clothes and take that amount in cash to curb the urge to overspend
- Go thru their closet - Did you find NWT pieces that can still fit? Add those to the back-to-school pile for this year
- Sell old clothes - Sell your child’s gently worn items to a consignment shop and add that cash to your back-to-school budget
- Make a list - Before you shop, make a list of what you need and a few things your child wants to help keep you on track
- Sign up for store rewards - During big sales days, stores will offer coupons to get you out shopping. Use them to save more money
- Online price matching - See it online cheaper? Most stores will match the online price
- Shop in store sales - Tons of stores are offering storewide or clearance sales this weekend. Check the store for details
- Use savings apps - Apps like RetailMeNot offer additional percentage savings that can be often combined with in store sales
- Shop sale items - The sale rack will be upwards of 60 percent off netting you HUGE savings
- Shop secondhand - Consignment and thrift stores are a treasure trove during back to school time and you will often find pieces NWT! If you are willing to do a bit of digging, you can really score some amazing things
During tax free weekend all clothing items $100 or less per item, and school supplies $20 or less per item are tax free.
Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.