DINWIDDIE, Va. (WWBT) - A child became trapped in a chimney Tuesday after climbing out a window.
Officials said the 5-year-old child became stuck at a home in the 11230 block of White Oak Road in Dinwiddie just after 10:30 a.m. It took rescue crews two hours to free the child.
“He’s a daredevil," said Dinwiddie County Chief of Fire and EMS Dennis Hale, “We thought maybe he climbed into a fireplace or got into a wood stove, or gotten up on a shelf.”
Instead, the boy climbed to the roof and eventually the top of the chimney.
Hale says firefighters could hear the boy hollering for help when they arrived, before finally locating him at the bottom of the chute.
The objective was then to figure out how to free him, which involved getting as close to him as they could and create an opening in the chimney.
“We could see him at about his waist level, through a small hole, and we ended up going below him and increasing the size of that hole, working our way underneath him so that we wouldn’t hit him with any of our tools," Hale said.
After a two-hour rescue, first responders finally got the boy out with assistance from an unlikely source: the boy himself.
“He helped us. He could tell us everything, ‘I’m standing on dirt, my hands are over my heard, I’m turned this way,’” the chief said.
The scene was cleared by 1 p.m., but Hale believes the ordeal could leave quite an impact on the 5-year-old, saying that “he’s got a good story to tell at 1st grade next year.”
The child was taken to the hospital for some scrapes, and officials were concerned they possibly breathed in some soot.
Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.