CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A couple is grateful after a Chesterfield police officer sprang into action to save their daughter’s life.
Jared Christopher Moore says he and his fiancée, Ashlee Hubbard, were eating at the Chick-fil-A on Koger Center Boulevard with their 7-month-old daughter, Ava, when the unthinkable happened.
“While we were talking we didn’t realize she grabbed a fry off the table,” said Moore.
Moore said Ava started choking and gasping for air. They said her face turned bright red from the fry lodged in her throat.
“In all honesty, I was just purely scared,” said Moore.
But as fate would have it, Chesterfield Police Officer Christopher King was also in the restaurant on his break.
Ava’s parent brought her to Officer King and he immediately took action by performing clearing the infant’s airway and dislodging the fry.
“We haven’t had any CPR training in the past so we thank God he was there,” said Hubbard.
He then sat with the couple and played with Ava until emergency officials arrived.
“He played with her the entire time and just did what he had to... it was like he wasn’t even working,” said Moore.
In fact, Officer King wasn’t even supposed to be working Friday night. Moore said he happened to be in the right place at the right time while on break during his overnight shift.
Grateful for Officer King’s heroism, Moore made this Facebook post, showing his appreciation. It’s already received thousands of shares.
“He did the most perfect job anybody could,” said Moore.
The couple said they will keep a closer eye on Ava and that they plan on getting their CPR certification in the near future.
Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.