RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Virginia State Police are reminding drivers of safety precautions to take during severe weather.
Virginia State Police are reminding drivers to be cautious while operating a vehicle in potentially “dangerous” conditions.
Severe storms moving through central Virginia have already brought down several trees.
Drivers are advised of the following:
- Wipers on = lights on: Virginia law requires headlights to be on while windshield wipers are on. Headlights also make you visible to other drivers in heavy rain conditions.
- Drive for conditions: Slow down, and give yourself extra stopping distance.
- Buckle up: Seat belts often help motorists survive crashes. Also, be sure that all adult, teen and child passengers are safely secured.
- Turn around, don’t drown: With forecasts calling for heavy rain and flash flooding, drivers should never try to drive through high water. The depth and speed of the water can be deceiving.
- Be #WeatherReady: Safety tips are available online.
- Check 511 for road conditions: Road conditions can be accessed online.
Copyright 2019 WWBT. All rights reserved.