Man who posted resume in paper nets new job - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Man who posted resume in paper nets new job

By Andy Jenks - bio | email

Posted by Colby Rogers

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A local man who posted his entire resume in the Sunday classifieds has seen his gamble pay off in a big way.

James Kimble, who was laid off microchip manufacturer Qimonda decided to shut down, now has a new job repairing industrial floor cleaners at Caliber Equipment in Ashland.

"I was really surprised when they contacted me, and told me with my experience, that they thought I would work out well with this," Kimble said.

Kimble said he placed the ad because he was hoping to get noticed in the tough economy.

Steve Baker of Caliber Equipment says he saw an opportunity.

"That evening I was watching your news report, and you had indicated that it was actually going to be in the next day's paper," Baker said, "So I was right on that next day's paper."

Kimble said he got a phone call, then an interview and then, finally, a test.

Kimble said Baker told him he had some equipment that needed repairing, offered Kimble the manual and then left. Three hours later, Kimble said he had seven working machines.

"He said, ‘Meet me in my office.' I was thinking, ‘I've only been here three hours and I'm already in trouble,'" Kimble said. "And so he called me in and said he's seen enough, didn't want to waste my whole day off and he made me an offer."

In the toughest economy in decades, James Kimble says his job search lasted just two weeks.

"He showed an initiative that made it easy for us to find him and we were able to act on it quickly," Baker said. "I'm just glad I got there first."

Kimble will start his new job in about two weeks.

(c) 2009. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

• Latest news from NBC12.comNEWSMore>>

Hanover's Sam Rogers drafted by Rams

Saturday, April 29 2017 11:58 PM EDT2017-04-30 03:58:56 GMT

Former Hanover High School and Virginia Tech star Sam Rogers was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams, Saturday.

More >>

Congress settles for stopgap to avoid government shutdown

Saturday, April 29 2017 10:59 PM EDT2017-04-30 02:59:56 GMT
    Saturday, April 29 2017 10:59 PM EDT2017-04-30 02:59:56 GMT

President Donald Trump seems destined to serve his 100th day in office without House passage of a Republican health care bill or enactment of a budget financing the government for the rest of this year.

• BREAKING

1 dead after two-vehicle crash in Hanover County

1 dead after two-vehicle crash in Hanover County

Saturday, April 29 2017 8:49 PM EDT2017-04-30 00:49:34 GMT

One person has died after a two-vehicle crash in western Hanover County Saturday night.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

More >>

One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.

• BREAKING

Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

Officials: 5 dead during weekend storms, casualties may increase

Sunday, April 30 2017 12:31 AM EDT2017-04-30 04:31:34 GMT

Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued Saturday for multiple East Texas counties.

More >>

Homeless man gets makeover from big-hearted cops

Tuesday, April 25 2017 2:44 PM EDT2017-04-25 18:44:10 GMT
    Tuesday, April 25 2017 3:49 PM EDT2017-04-25 19:49:50 GMT

Police officers in Rome, NY, went the extra mile to give back to their community, helping one in need.

Powered by Frankly