Two fires in Henrico started due to improperly discarded ashes - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Two fires in Henrico started due to improperly discarded ashes

Source: Henrico fire Source: Henrico fire
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

Henrico firefighters responded to two fires in less than 24 hours, and both of those were caused by improperly discarded fireplace or wood stove ashes.  

A shed and three different yards were burned in one incident. In the other fire, a deck was destroyed, and a home was damaged. Fire officials say the ashes that set the deck on fire were put outside two days before the fire started.

Henrico fire issued to following tips:

  • Use a fire-resistant metal ash shovel to scoop out ashes and place them into a fire-resistant metal can with a tight-fitting lid.
  • Take the container outside away from combustibles, including your home’s deck; wet the ashes, and then cover with the lid. Hot coals in a pile of ashes can last up to four days, so let the ashes cool for at least that long.
  • Never keep the metal can in or near your home - keep it at least 10 feet away.
  • Never use a paper bag, cardboard box, or plastic trash bag to throw away ashes. 
  • Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up the ashes.
  • Never place the metal container next to the firewood pile, against the garage, or on or under a wooden deck or under a porch.

Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

Powered by Frankly