(WWBT) - We all know Barney as the beloved purple dinosaur, but most of us do not know the man underneath it all.
David Joyner played Barney for 10 years, from 1991 to 2001 and says he "loved being Barney."
Business Insider caught up with the actor, who revealed "what it was like being one of the most famous children's characters of all time," and how Joyner felt he was destined to be Barney.
Joyner says being in the costume is "pretty cool," but he also gave us some facts on what the costume entailed:
- Barney's costume is 70 pounds, and it can get up to 120 degrees inside the costume.
- Barney's feet were huge, so he had sneakers glued inside the feet.
- Barney's head doesn't come off or swivel, so Joyner could only see a certain amount due to the peripheral of Barney's mouth.
- There are no facial expressions that can be made. "So what I would literally do is I would walk around my apartment as if I was blind. I would close my eyes, and I would try to feel energy. And try to feel the energy of anything that was around me. And then try to pick things up."
- Barney's voice was provided by a man named Bob West. Joyner would do something called a "dinosync" with West's voice. "As I have my headphones on, I can literally hear him taking his breath. And knowing that as he's about to speak, I'm almost inside of him, knowing exactly what he's about to say."
Since Barney, Joyner has been keeping himself busy, including moving to Los Angeles and guest starring in numerous shows, such as "Shameless," "That '70s Show," "ER," and "24."
Here's what he is up to now:
Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved