RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A Richmond mother has filed a complaint with the Virginia Department of Health Professions, after she says a Bellevue Elementary school nurse gave her 7-year-old daughter the wrong medicine for the past two weeks.
Jasimine Tutt says the school nurse informed her Monday that she had given her second-grade daughter, Jaslyne, ADHD medicine, which was actually prescribed to her brother. Tutt says her daughter suffers from a heart condition, having had open heart surgery as an infant.
Tutt immediately called several of her daughter's doctors and the Virginia Poison Control Center. The doctors advised Tutt to closely monitor Jaslyne's heartbeat, after mistakenly received ADHD medication, which can affect heart rate.
Thankfully, Tutt says her daughter is fine. However, the mother says this kind of mistake cannot happen.
"I'm furious. I'm very upset," said Tutt.
Tutt says she got the shocking call from the Bellevue Elementary school nurse Monday, saying she had given her daughter the wrong medication for the past two weeks.
"I said, 'Hold on. My daughter doesn't take medication,'" said Tutt.
Tutt says the nurse admitted confusing Jaslyne's name with her brother's, giving Jaslyne her brother's ADHD prescription.
"She was like, 'Mama, I took the medicine for two weeks because I trusted her because she's a grown up.'"
Jaslyne has a scar from open heart surgery as an infant. Tutt says anything Jaslyne takes must be carefully monitored. Tutt lost a one-year-old daughter two years ago, from a heart condition.
"I just lost a child... I cannot lose any more kids," continued Tutt.
A spokesperson for Richmond Public Schools released the following statement:
Copyright 2017 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved