RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - There's a big emphasis this year to give experiences instead of gifts. For parents fighting that ever exploding pile of toys and clutter, that can be appealing.
But before you go buying tickets and memberships, here are a few experiences you might want to sign your family up for.
Richmond Moms Blog has a list of holiday ideas that are all about giving back. At this time of year, they couldn't be more appropriate.
Here are Christina Tinker's top 5 ideas for your family:
- Adopt a family through The Salvation Army & NBC 12 Angel Tree or work with Henrico Christmas Mother to provide gifts for a family. Your child can go with you to the store and pick out a special gift just for that child.
- Volunteer to participate in honoring our veterans by placing wreaths on their graves at Richmond National Cemetery on December 17th.
- Contact a local retirement community and schedule a time for a small group of children in your neighborhood, school or church to go and sing Christmas carols to the residents. HandsOn Great Richmond has options for this as well.
- If you have older children, providing them the tools and time to offer a neighbor help raking leaves or wrapping gifts is another great way to help them experience the joy of doing an act of kindness.
- Make holiday cards with your children and drop them off at a local shelter to give to the people
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.