Far West End house fire caused by grill - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Far West End house fire caused by grill

Henrico fire crews are working to extinguish a fire at a two-story home in the county's West End. (Source: Google Maps) Henrico fire crews are working to extinguish a fire at a two-story home in the county's West End. (Source: Google Maps)
Henrico fire crews are working to extinguish a fire at a two-story home in the county's West End. (Source: NBC12) Henrico fire crews are working to extinguish a fire at a two-story home in the county's West End. (Source: NBC12)
HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -

Investigators say a propane gas grill was too close to the side of the house causing it to catch fire in Henrico's Far West end Thursday.

Crews say when they arrived around 8:30 p.m., the flames already reached the attic of the home in the 5700 block of Averys Way in the Covington neighborhood off Nuckols and Shady Grove roads. The homeowner was there at the time and told investigators his grill on the back porch ignited the vinyl siding and the flames spread to the top of the attic and third story of the home.

No one was injured and the residents are staying with family. Fire officials are reminding everyone to make sure your gas grills are away from the house when you cook out.

Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Report an Error or Submit a Tip to NBC12

Powered by Frankly