RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The NBC12/ RVA Sports Network Big 12 is a weekly high school football poll voted on by members of both organizations' staffs. This week, L.C. Bird overtakes the top spot, after Highland Springs lost at Meadowbrook this past Friday, and Benedictine moves into the poll for the first time this year.
1) L.C. Bird (3-0, last week #2)- The Skyhawks made easy work of Midlothian, staying unbeaten, and moving into the top spot. The Bird defense has allowed just seven total points in three games. vs. Manchester, 9/16
2) Dinwiddie (3-0, last week #3)- Dinwiddie took down Caroline to stay perfect. The Generals will enjoy an open date before visiting Hopewell next week. Bye week
3) Hermitage (1-1, last week #4)- The Panthers were off last week, but still moving up a spot with the Springers' loss. @ Varina, 9/16
4) Highland Springs (2-1, last week #1)- Last week the Springers fell at Meadowbrook, snapping a 16-game winning streak, but they didn't fall too far this week, landing at number four. Bye week
5) Henrico (2-0, last week #5)- The Warriors hold steady at number five after a lop-sided win over Deep Run. Jalon Jones is rolling at quarterback in his first year with the program. @ J.R. Tucker, 9/16
6) Manchester (2-0, last week #6)- Manchester cruised past Huguenot this past week, setting up a battle of undefeated teams against the Skyhawks this Friday night. @ L.C. Bird, 9/16
7) Thomas Dale (2-1, last week #8)- Defense carried the day for the Knights this past Friday, as the unit shut out Varina in the 2nd half, pacing Dale to a 22-13 win. Bye week
8) Lee-Davis (2-0, last week #9)- The Confederates are up one spot after win at Prince George. Sophomore QB Zach Lass continues to look impressive and give Lee-Davis another offensive weapon in addition to Nathan Evans. vs. Glen Allen, 9/16
9) Douglas Freeman (2-0, last week #10)- Freeman holds at the tenth position after an open date. @ Atlee, 9/16
10) Monacan (3-0, last week #11)- The Chiefs picked up a nice win against Cosby this past Friday, their first big test of the season. @ Clover Hill, 9/16
11) Hopewell (1-1, last week #7)- Powhatan drove nearly the length of the field in less than a minute to stun the Blue Devils and hand them their first loss of the young season. @ Hanover, 9/16
12) Benedictine (2-0, last week NR)- The Cadets move into the poll for the first time this year, after last week's win over St. Christopher's.
Dropped out: Cosby (1-2)