Tree falls on car with children inside during storm in Richmond

Tree falls on car with children inside during storm in Richmond

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - In Richmond, Monday's storm may not have lasted long, but it caused quite a bit of damage. On Caulder Court in the city's Southside, a tree came crashing down onto some cars, shattering glass on top of children still inside.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the neighborhood isn't happy, saying this is the second half of the same large tree that fell just last month in the last storm.

"This storm right here was not even ten minutes," said neighbor, Lakeeya Gray.

In minutes, at least two vehicles were destroyed and several lives put in danger.

"The tree with the glass actually splattered right there. Good thing he had his cover on his car seat because it didn't get to him," said Teniquawa Valentine whose car at the Swansboro Apartments was towed away after a tree crashed on top of it. Inside at the time was her husband, her four-month-old baby Jacob, and her seven-year-old son Messiah Dorsey.

"We backed up and the storm knocked the tree down on the car," said Dorsey.

"It was just terrifying to know my baby was in an accident because a tree fell," said Valentine.

Amazingly, no one was injured, but Valentine isn't taking any chances.

"We're going to go to the emergency room to get him checked out to make sure there's no glass in his foot," said Valentine.

Syieda Jones-Brown's car is still parked, but it's totaled and surrounded by the fallen tree.

"The sunroof window is broken, the front window is smashed," said Jones-Brown. "I can't go to work, I can't get my baby to the doctor."

The single tree has been the cause of major destruction in this neighborhood - part of it falling during the last storm weeks ago, with the remnants still left behind. The other part of it crashed Monday onto vehicles, totaling them with people inside, and the last bit now barely hanging on.

Gray says the fallen tree from the last storm was never cleaned up, causing a safety hazard long before Monday afternoon.

"It's been out here for like three weeks," said Gray. "I've seen 20 kids out here just jumping around, messing with this branch."

They're hoping this time the whole thing is removed.

"It's really, really dangerous," said Jones-Brown.

The city of Richmond's Public Works Department says they're still working on the clean-up from the last storm, and they're moving as fast as they can. They could not give a time frame of when it'll all get done.

Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved