RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Publix is moving into Richmond, and they are buying several Martin's locations in order to do so.
In a statement, the Florida-based grocer announced that they have agreed to purchase 10 Virginia stores from Ahold USA, contingent on the Federal Trade Commission's approval and clearance of the merger between Ahold and Delhaize Group, the parent companies of Food Lion and Martin's Food Markets.
The store's Publix has purchased are as followed:
- 3107 Boulevard Colonial Heights
- 9645 West Broad Street Glen Allen
- 10150 Brook Road Glen Allen
- 10250 Staples Mill Road Glen Allen
- 2250 John Rolfe Parkway Henrico
- 3460 Pump Road Henrico
- 13700 Hull Street Road Midlothian
- 3522 West Cary Street Richmond
- 4591 South Laburnum Avenue Richmond
- 7035 Three Chopt Road Richmond
Martin's was selling 19 Richmond-area grocery stores as part of a merger with Food Lion.
"Acquiring these 10 locations aligns with Publix's aggressive growth plan for the commonwealth of Virginia," Publix CEO & President Todd Jones said in a statement. "We are looking forward to providing Virginians with the high-quality service and products our customers have come to expect and have earned us recognition throughout the industry."
Publix originally planned to build a store in Glen Allen, which would have been completed in 2018.
The company said the 10 MARTIN's locations will continue to operate until the Publix permitting process is completed, with grand opening dates for all locations "depending on the scope of the remodels and completion of the stores' construction."
The locations not listed as being purchased by Publix's are as follows:
- 253 N. Washington Hwy Ashland, VA
- 12601 Jefferson Davis Hwy Chester, VA
- 6401 Centralia Rd. Chesterfield, VA
- 10001 Hull Street Rd, Midlothian, VA
- 200 Charter Colony Parkway, Midlothian, VA
- 5700 Brook Road, Richmond, VA
- 7045 Forest Hill Avenue Richmond, VA
- 11361 Midlothian Tpke, Richmond, VA
- 5201 Chippenham Crossing Center Richmond, VA
The fate of these stores was not disclosed by Publix or Ahold USA in their statements.
Publix said they will "hold job fairs closer to grand opening dates and encourages impacted MARTIN'S employees to apply for employment."
In a later statement, Publix said current employees will "need to reapply" for their jobs, adding that they start hiring "approximately 14 weeks prior to store openings," but Publix did not have an opening timeframe to share at this time.
Publix, which was founded in Florida in 1930, operates more than 1,100 stores in the southeast U.S. with more than 179,000 employees.
A total of 86 stores were sold by both Ahold and Delhaize Group, the company confirmed Wednesday.
- New Albertson’s, Inc. (part of Albertsons Companies based in Idaho) purchasing 1 Giant Food store in Salisbury, Maryland;
- Big Y (based in Massachusetts), purchasing 8 Hannaford stores in eastern Massachusetts
- Publix (based in Florida), purchasing 10 MARTIN’S stores in Richmond, Virginia
- Saubel’s Markets (based in Pennsylvania) purchasing 1 Food Lion store in York, Pennsylvania
- Supervalu (based in Minnesota), purchasing 22 Food Lion stores in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia
- Tops Markets (based in New York), purchasing 1 Stop & Shop store in Massachusetts as well as 3 Stop & Shop stores and 2 Hannaford stores in New York
- Weis Markets (based in Pennsylvania), purchasing 38 Food Lion stores in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, which includes the Food Lion store in the 9800 block of Courthouse Road in Spotsylvania County.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved