FREDERICKSBURG, VA (WWBT) - Nearly six years after a violent mob attack outside a Fredericksburg department store, six men have been formally charged by police in an attack that left a man dead.
Fredericksburg authorities announced that 23-year-old Howard Vaughn, 23-year-old Sebastian Irvin, 22-year-old Rashon Graves, 22-year-old Dequan Ellis, 23-year-old Demetrious Walker, and 24-year-old David Kerns have been charged in connection with the death of 22-year-old Stuart Cole.
Late last week, a grand jury indicted the men, charging each of the four who were adults at the time of the December 2011 attack with felony voluntary manslaughter. Petitions were also obtained for two individuals who were juveniles at the time of the attack.
In August of 2011, police said Cole was shopping at a Walmart store in Fredericksburg when he had a verbal altercation with a group of men at the store. As he was loading items into his car, police said Cole was struck in the back of the head and fell to ground, with nearby witnesses reporting two men standing over Cole and kicking him.
Once police arrived, they found Cole with injuries to his head and face. The man spent nearly two weeks in the hospital and continued to face challenges with his health in the years after the violent parking lot altercation.
In December 2015, Cole was found dead in his home.
In April, the medical examiner's office ruled Cole's death a homicide, tying it to the attack in the Walmart parking lot.
After that determination, Fredericksburg Commonwealth's Attorney La Bravia Jenkins called a special grand jury to see if there was probable cause to charge those involved in the attack.
That grand jury handed down the indictments on Friday.
As of Wednesday, Vaughn and Irvin have been arrested and placed behind bars at Rappahannock Regional Jail without bond, while Graves, Ellis, Walker, and Kerns are all wanted on active warrants.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved