By: Kym Grinnage email
Almost everyone knows someone who has been touched by Alzheimer's disease. Last week, I attended the Annual Fundraising Breakfast for the Alzheimer's Association and once again I was moved.
The personal stories that you hear at this event never become old. Each year, we are reminded of the profound impact this disease has on 26,000 families and individuals in the greater Richmond area.
Here are the national facts:
- Every 66 seconds, someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s.
- More than 5 million Americans are living with this disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the 6th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another form of Dementia.
- In 2015, more than 15 million caregivers provided an estimated 18 million hours of unpaid care.
Family givers spend more than $5,000 a year each on caring for someone with the disease. But for many others it may mean going hungry.
It is certainly obvious that Alzheimer's can affect any of us. If you would like to know how you can help in any small way, contact the Alzheimer's Association at: alz.org/grva
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved