RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Martin's will sell 19 Richmond-area grocery stores as part of a merger with Food Lion, according to a report from a trade magazine on Monday.
Food World reports shareholders of the parent companies of the two grocery chains approved the merger last week and now the companies will sell 83 stores from Boston to West Virginia, including the Richmond-area Martin's stores. All area Food Lion stores will remain open, reports Food World.
Martin's entered the market when it purchased the locally-owned Ukrop's stores in 2010. Last year, the company announced it would close three locations: 3300 S. Crater Road in Petersburg, 7324 Bell Creek Road in Mechanicsville and 3000 Stony Point Road in Richmond.
Food World reports the additional 19 closings "would seemingly represent an overlap issue for the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)."
The potentially overlapping stores for sale, according to Food World, are:
- 253 N. Washington Hwy Ashland, VA
- 12601 Jefferson Davis Hwy Chester, VA
- 6401 Centralia Rd. Chesterfield, VA
- 3107 Boulevard #15 Colonial Heights, VA
- 10150 Brooke Rd Glen Allen, VA
- 9645 W. Broad Glen Allen, VA
- 10250 Staple Mill Rd Glen Allen, VA
- 13700 Hull Street Rd. Midlothian, VA
- 200 Charter Colony Pkwy Midlothian, VA
- 3522 West Cary St. Richmond, VA
- 10001 Hull St. Rd. Richmond, VA
- 3460 Pump Rd Richmond, VA
- 2250 John Rolfe Pkwy Richmond, VA
- 7045 Forest Hill Ave Richmond, VA
- 5700 Brook Rd Richmond, VA
- 7055 Three Chopt Richmond, VA
- 11361 Midlothian Tpke Richmond, VA
- 4591 South Laburnum Ave Richmond, VA
- 5201 Chippenham Crossing Ctr. Richmond, VA
The store at 1015 Richmond Ave. in Staunton is also listed as for sale.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved