RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - It's time like these many of you go into action.
Since Wednesday's tornadoes and severe storms struck Virginia, you've reached out to us over email, Facebook and Twitter asking how you can help the victims. Many residents are in need of water, food and other house-hold items as the cleanup continues.
Here is how you can lending a helping hand or donate items to those in need:
- Drop off usable household items and non-perishable food at the Old Southern States building on 1616 Tappahannock Blvd. in Tappahannock from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.
- Monetary donations can be made through the Red Cross, in the Essex County Tornado Victims Fund, and also at EVB Bank. Just mention the Essex County or Tappahannock Tornado Victims Fund.
- Bill Talley Ford has teamed up with Blary's Lawn & Landscaping, INC., Delux Computer Systems and Inkt Va to deliver supplies and necessities. Local Fire and EMS are currently requesting bottled water, canned goods, non-perishable food items and paper goods, which will be used at a shelter at Essex Intermediate School. They are not accepting clothing or blanket donations. Drop off items at Bill Talley Ford at 6280 Mechanicsville Turnpike. They are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Essex Bank is providing lunch Friday to anyone affected by storms including victims, rescue workers and relief volunteers. Lunch will be served at Essex Bank’s main office at 1325 Tappahannock Blvd. between 11 a.m and 2 p.m. Lunch is being donated by Tom Leonard’s Farmers Market in Short Pump and by Sodexo Catering in Henrico.
- Sunnyside Grocery is collecting clothing, food and personal care items for anyone in need from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at 136 Sunnyside Road in Tappahannock.
- Assist with tree removal on Saturday. A group will be meeting at the Tappahannock Volunteer Fire Department on 620 Airport Road. Call (804) 443-0658 for more information.
- The Red Cross will be meeting with those displaced by the storm from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Old Beale Memorial Church at 202 South Church Lane. There will be a number of resources available including help with DMV documents, handing out supplies and more.
- Non-perishable food and donations can be dropped off in front of the Fresh Pride Store on 233 S. County Drive between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Friday. They are not accepting clothes. The Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief Agency is coordinating, and they are accepting offers for manual labor.
- Volunteers from the community are rallying at Fresh Pride at 9 a.m. Friday to clean up debris throughout the community.
- Donate money to the Sussex County Treasurer's Office with the specific note "Waverly Tornado Relief." Their address is 15074 Courthouse Road, Sussex, VA 23884. You can call them at (434) 246-1087.
- Donations are also being taken at EVB Bank on Main Street in Waverly. Personal checks or money orders can be made out to the Red Cross.
- Agape's Door will be hosting an open house from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. They will have clothing, shoes, children through adults sizes, baby items, linens and some non-perishable food items. Email AgapesDoor@cfochurch.org with questions. Agape's Door is located behind Christ Family Outreach Church 12300 Five Forks Road in Amelia Courthouse.
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO HELP
- Isley Brewing Company in Richmond will be holding an Appomattox Tornado relief fundraiser on Saturday. Click here for the details.
- Donate clothes or household items at Boost Mobile at 3912 Hull St. Road. You can call them at (804) 233-1244. They have 30 locations for drop off.
- The Red Cross is always accepting donations. Those who would like to help people affected by disasters like tornadoes and countless other crises can make a donation to Red Cross Disaster Relief. People can donate by visiting redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. These donations enable the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters big and small.
Copyright 2016 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.